Since the ACT test is coming up this Saturday, many of you students out there may be wondering where to find some great last-minute ACT prep. First, I have to tell you that although you've waited until the last minute to prepare, which is really, really bad, you do have enough time to make slight difference in your score. As we all know, the difference in a point or two can be the difference between a scholarship or the lack of one.
So, should you use YouTube for last-minute ACT test prep? In a word: NO.
Why? Because of your time. Right now, you only have a few days before the test, and you don't need to waste them going through hundreds of pointless ACT test prep videos. The content of many of the "ACT test prep" videos out there typically falls into one of several categories:
- Off-topic: These YouTube videos although entitled "ACT Test Tips" or something of the sort, are actually not about the ACT at all. Some that I've clicked have been ads for exercise equipment and one actually wanted to teleport me to porn land.
- Inaccurate: Look. If you only have a few days to check out test prep, then you don't want to listen to some recently-graduated college freshman's spiel about the "right" way to prep for the ACT. Much of the information out there is inaccurate or misleading.
- Too Narrow: Since you only have a few days before the test, you can't start learning about the differences between Conflicting Viewpoints and Research Summaries questions in the Science section right now. Your best bet is to learn a few ACT test tips that will help you on a majority of the test.
- Sales-Oriented: Do you really want to listen to the merits of "Awesomely Fantastic Test Prep Company"? Probably not. Quite a few of the ACT YouTube videos are actually just sales pitches trying to get you to head to the companies' websites. Stay away.
So, what can you do last-minute to prep for this test?
- Memorize a few basic ACT test prep tips, and be sure you can recite them in your sleep.
- Make sure you understand the types of content you'll be seeing on the test.
- Get some sleep this week.
- Eat some brain food.
And do your best! Sure, you should've prepped before now, but you didn't. So, all you can do is get yourself in the best frame of mind for the test and work. You can always retake it if you have the cash and are willing to sit for it again.
What's New This Month in Test Prep?